Thursday, December 31, 2009

2009, what a fun year

It's December 31st and like many other people I've taken the day to think, ponder and reflect back on what was the year 2009. Call it cliche, but I'm going to take a moment and look back.

I always feel bad for the month of January because it seems that people forget so easily what happens in this month. I mean, Christmas just ends, then New Years, and the next thing you know it's March. However, January 2009 was different. I distinctly remember where I was when President Obama was sworn in and regardless of your political affiliation I bet you remember where you were as well. I was in the basement at Volunteer Ministry Center (a homeless service provider) at their old location on the corner of Gay St. and Jackson Ave. in downtown Knoxville. I watched on a fuzzy TV screen along with some other coworkers and several individuals who were presently homeless. It was a special moment and one that I will not soon forget.

2009 was a fun year. I feel very fortunate to be able to type that last sentence and actually mean it. The year was marked with several highlights: At the end of March, I climbed the tallest mountain in the lower 48 (Mt. Whitney); In May, Rachel graduated from the University of Tennessee and received her doctorate degree in Audiology, I spent the summer (2 months) in Calgary, AB where I did lots of sight seeing with my host family from Belgium; And I started this running thing.

I remember that I started running when I got home from Calgary, which was back in mid-July. I've surprised myself by actually continuing to run. I not usually one for New Year's resolutions, but I think for 2010 my resolution will be to stick with my training schedule and finish the Marathon without any catastrophes. I believe my run today was an indication of good things to come.

After I ran 4 miles today, my knee felt better than it has in the past couple of weeks. Today's weather was like what I imagine the Puget Sound to be like. Misty, cold (not too cold), and the overpowering smell of earth. It was a cleansing run. I hope this run propels me into 2010. Well, have fantastic New Year. And for 2010, put your Good Foot Forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment