Thursday, January 14, 2010

"... Just a little patience..."


Knees are the pistons of a runner. Recently, well not recently but a while back, I've been struggling with a knee issue. One of my pistons refuses to fire correctly. Specifically, my right has been held captive of Iliotibial band syndrome (ITBS). Dr. Cluett explains ITBS this way, "[It] occurs when there is irritation to this band of fibrous tissue. The irritation usually occurs over the outside of the knee joint, at the lateral epicondyle--the end of the femur (thigh) bone. The iliotibial band crosses bone and muscle at this point; between these structures is a bursa which should facilitate a smooth gliding motion. However, when inflamed, the iliotibial band does not glide easily, and pain associated with movement is the result".

When I run the pain is on the side of my right knee. It bothered me enough on my last run (January 2) to take time off for at least two weeks. I do want to mention that I have not gone to the doctor and therefore have not been given a formal diagnosis. Because the injury is has not reached the point of affecting my daily life. The pain or rather discomfort only comes when I'm running 4 or more miles.

This ordeal has been very difficult mentally. While I'm driving my car I'll see a runner and act like a dog who sees a squirrel. This bump in the road has presented opportunities to do some cross training. I've been swimming and discovered that I'm not the swimmer I was 10 years ago. And I've even worked out to Jillian MIchaels 30-Day Shred Workout DVD.

The Jillian DVD is my new nemesis. It is one of the hardest and complete workouts I've done since I began training. The first day I decided to work out with Jillian, Rosie (our dog) had such a confused look on her face. Rosie has been a great support while enduring the DVD workout. She sits our our red corduroy couch and watches the whole ordeal and her affectionate face keeps me a goin'.



There are three levels to her workouts and I thought that level two would be a piece of cake, but I struggle to keep up with her. I started out with five pound weights and after the first workout, I picked my arms off the ground (and my pride). During the next workout I went with the two and a half pounders that come in a lovely hot pink color. I'd be lying if I didn't tell you my manhood takes a shot each time I press play on Jillian's DVD. But I've swallowed my pride and I have really come to appreciate the DVD workout home video.

Martin Luther King Jr Day (January 18th) marks my first attempt back at running on a normal routine. I'll be modifying my schedule some, in order to accommodate appropriate milage for the week. I've very anxious about my long runs and hope my piston of a knee is ready for it. But as I said in my first post on this blog, all I can do is put my "good foot forward".

3 comments:

  1. I hear ya on the workout at home videos. Ive been doing those while the baby naps since I cant always go out skiing or running when Chris gets home. I haven't tried Jillian yet, but have had my you know what kicked a few times with other videos I find on netflix watch instantly. I feel so ridiculous doing them because I'd like to think I am in good shape and then I try these and either can't keep up because I'm very, very uncoordinated or maybe I'm not in as great of shape as I thought. Anyways...I'm thinking of doing the Stillwater Marathon in May so my blog may turn into a marathon blog as well. I hope your knee gets better!! ice ice ice! My hubby had the same knee crap when training for the TCM a few years ago. You will get through and finish your marathon! I know it! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy it's great to hear from you. You've taken the words right out of my mouth. I too feel so ridiculous when do the workouts. Unlike after I do a long run, I'm gassed by the end. It is something different. I didn't know you had a blog. I'll try to find it. Good luck with the Marathon in May.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jillian is a KILLER! I have that same beastly DVD and I finally got to where I can do level 2 and mostly keep up with her. LOVE that you're doing this video!! - Laura Maddux

    ReplyDelete