Tuesday, December 22, 2009

A Sensitive Topic

The topic that I'm about to write about has been on my mind since I started this blog. However, I haven't been able to figure out how exactly to write about such a topic. I mean, it's gross. Yet everyone who has been (or is) a runner knows exactly what I'm talking about, so it shouldn't be that big of a deal to write about it because these are the pains every runner goes through and experiences. The topic I'm delicately trying to describe is chaffing. Yes, raw nipples and monkey-butt. These have often been the headliners of running horror stories.

Don't worry, there will not be any photos for this post. I think our minds can paint a clear enough picture as it is. So what exactly causes chaffing? About.Com's Christine Luff has this to say,"Chafing is caused by repeated motion -- specifically, skin rubbing against loose fabric or other skin. Chafing most often occurs around the bra line (women), nipples (men), inner thighs, and under the arms. Moisture, either from sweat or rain, can worsen chafing. It can also be caused by a poorly fitted bra." I had always known about this problem but I never experienced it until I started running 5 or more miles at a single time. And if you don't take proper precautions it can ruin a run and be quite serious. If it gets to the point where blood is present on your nipples or inner thighs, no matter what the quantity, it's serious.

I don't remember the exact date when it first hit me, but I have since taken it upon myself to do some preventative measures where I'll be less likely to become the victim of raw nipples and monkey-butt. Step one is to use some personal lubricant, like Vaseline or petroleum jelly, I personally use Bag Balm, and apply it to the sensitive regions of your body. Step two, Band-Aids. Specifically, two of them on your chest. These little guys act as a force field. I forgot to use them on a 8 mile run and that will be the last time I ever forget. In addition, spandex shorts are always a good idea, but they're not full proof. I've also tried a variety of t-shirts to wear without any luck.

So there you have it. If you were to type "runner chaffing" into a search engine, you'll find a plethora of other helpful materials.

No comments:

Post a Comment