Saturday, March 27, 2010

Number 515

Each person has their own unique number that is assigned to him or her and I'm number 515. It's a palindrome, or a number that is the same forwards as it is backwards. For some reason I think this is really neat. Today Rachel and I took in the marathon expo that was held at the Holiday Inn. It's mandatory that everyone visit if they wish to race because your bib number and timing chip are located there.

Before we even got to the registration table we ran into a friend of ours at our church. Paul, our friend, is a volunteer and he told us that around 6,000 people had registered for the race and that, "it's a half marathon race, so most of the people are signed up for that". I found out that about 630 people are singed up for the 26.2 category. After catching up we made our way to the registration table and we got our number. We quickly moved left to get our goody bag (i.e. lots of flyers, box of Wheaties, other trinkets, and the official race t-shirt).

Once all the essentials were gathered in our new plastic goody bags, we made a plan of action to see all the venders. Most of the local running stores were there as well as the vitamin / health food shops. There were lots of people selling t-shirts and stickers (I guess to show that you were here) and yes I bought a sticker. I didn't want to succumb to the schmuck that proudly proclaims all of his accomplishments on his car so I'll proclaim them on my water bottle.

I was really struck by how friendly everyone was to us. I had the assumption that I would run into the ultra serious runners. You know the type that gives you a quick up and down and then rushes to judgements about how seroius of a runner you really are. Well, I didn't find any (thank baby Jesus). We did meet a woman from Anchorage, AK who is running her 10th marathon this year! I'm not sure if she meant calendar year or since 2010, but I know that I don't want any part of that. The only thing more difficult than running 10 marathons is maybe delivering a baby sideways, or so I've been told.

Lastly, thank you for all the support and comments people have made these past few months. Really thanks. It really means a lot to me. I'll be putting my good foot forward tomorrow and I hope you will too. Look for the post race recap.

Well, I should really get going because we're having people over for dinner. I've got meatballs to cook.

1 comment: