Monday, March 1, 2010

"Nice Fanny-Pack!"

The title of this post is what a Frat-tastic (i.e. 1. when a guy walks around with his collar popped 2. When a guy walks around with his collar popped and/or his viser upside-down urbandictionary.com) guy yelled at me just as I finished running 16 miles this past Sunday. Mr. Frat-tastic who, was driving a Tokyo drift type car, decided to be clever and hurl this insult at me. The fanny-pack was actually my amphipod water bottle holder. Clearly the guy had no appreciation of such a fine piece of equipment. Fine piece of equipment being defined as, not bouncing, forgetting that there is 20 ounces strapped to my back, and the good reflecting fabric which helps keep me safe. Perhaps it was the fabric that caught Frat-tastic's eye - it's bright green. Enough with me being negative, it's time for me to give some much needed updates. My training has been going really well.

Last weekend I ran 14 miles, with no insults, and I felt great. In both long runs I could feel my knees getting shaky at mile 13. Not pain, but feeling like I've got spaghetti for legs. I know its my body getting use to the physical demands which are enormous in running long distances.

One difference that I noticed from this weekend compared to last is that I did not encounter a single runner this week. My route followed the second half of the marathon course. This meant my environment was much more urban. What I liked about this route was seeing a side of Knoxville that people rarely get to see on foot. Most of the older homes are east and north of Knoxville proper. The diversity is greater and buildings are more eclectic than other sectors of my city.

And this reminds me...

In less than a week I will be boarding a plane with 11 other UT students to take part on an alternative spring break to Jamaica. Jamaica has its west Knoxville's in the form of tourist cities, but we will be visiting a much different Jamaica than is advertised on the Travel Channel or the Internet. By traveling off the beaten path, I imagine I will get a better sense of who the people are in this tiny island country. This is true for most of the places that I have been to.

Running will have to take a second seat this next week. I'll be doing much more important work. I'll try and keep up with some basic workouts in the morning but I don't want my desire to workout interfere with me being there, being present in the moment. It will be a Lenten test to put my selfish desire of running a marathon not in a hire position than what it is right now.

With that, I hope to have many stories to tell and more pictures to share.

Putting my good foot forward,
Chad

No comments:

Post a Comment