Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Back from Jamaica

Sorry it has been a while since I've written. Last time I wrote was just before I left for Jamaica. Here are some of thoughts and pictures of that experience.

Jamaica is a beautiful country and the people were some of the most hospitable I've ever met. I always find it so difficult to explain my experiences to people when I return home from trips. I either get caught up in every little detail and lose the person's interest that I'm telling the story to or I generalize my experiences with words like "it was good" or "it was amazing", etc.

Instead let me just say that the reasons for poverty in Jamaica are similar to the reasons in Knoxville or any other city. High unemployment, crime, lack of education, etc. These reasons are complex, yet to often we try to simplify them into understandable anecdotes. We'll blame the single mother for having too many children or we'll blame man and say that he doesn't work hard enough. And the list goes on, and on. My general understanding, and Jamaican reaffirmed this, is that people do the best they can with what they have. I think that's pretty universal.


On the Beach in Black River At Ms. T's Bakery in Black River



Miguel, at St. Theresa's Basic School Sunset at Alligator Pond


St. Theresa's Basic School



For more pictures check them out at Facebook.

The Marathon is in less than a week. Yikes. I'll post before then.

No comments:

Post a Comment