Monday, November 9, 2009

Food, Get In My Belly!

Fall is one of those seasons when all the elements are right like abundant sunshine, cool to warm temperatures, and beautiful foliage is an unstopable force like Pete Rose's Big Red Machine, the orignial Bash Brothers Mark McGwire and Jose Cansaco, John Wooden's UCLA Bruins, or Herb Brooks' Mircle on Ice. If you were in the 100-mile radius of Knoxivlle, TN this past weekend, then you surely understand my abundant sports analogies. What made it even better was having the family branch that extends into Deep Central Arkansas, be present with us.

Rachel's family made a brief vist of 38hrs to Knoxville to partake in a long standing tradition that is College Football Tailgating here in E. TN. All involved had a great time. About an hour west of Knoxville, there was a different family gathering taking place. On Saturday, Rachel and I paid our last respects to a dear friend who passed last week. Lot's of her family was in attendance and it was a somber reminder of how precious life truly is at times. Marty, I'm not sure if you're able to read blogs where ever you are, but I will always remember how you graciously opened your home and welcomed Rachel and I. We will miss you.

Often times when I think about family I can't help but think of food. We made baby-back ribs, cornbread, fresh cheese dip, a bean casserole of sorts, and plenty of frosty beverages for Rachel's family. I think I consumed enough calories for 2.78 marathons. I've read that when you train for a marathon your diet sort of works its way out. What does that mean "works its way out"?

This has been bugging me, and something that I've chosen to ignore, since I started running this summer. You see, I love food. I come from a long line of healthy eaters and I take great pride in my genetic predisposition of enjoying food. My father, in his younger days, is infamous at the Minnesota State Fair where he single handily ate over 15 foot-long hot dogs AND managed to eat an array of other deep fried objects in one day! My mother's family has a long standing tradition of making Klub which is a Norwegian dish and basically a mass of potatoes with onions and bacon pressed into it and for good measure doused in bacon fat and then topped with butter. My own story of eating conquests happen this past summer in what is known as The Ludicrous Burger incident. To start: make a grill-cheese with two strips of bacon, then place a hamburger patty on top with cheese and two more strips of bacon, then top with another grill cheese sandwich ... yes with two strips of bacon in it. Bliss, insanity, utopia, no its just plain ludicrous.

The Holidays are approaching and more family gatherings are already on our calendar. And also approaching is my start date for the Real Training. I'm not a believer in quitting cold turkey; rather, I like to think of warm turkey when it comes to my diet and running. My long runs will most likely be on Saturday mornings, so eating my weight in pizza on Friday nights will have to change, and probably should stop. I'm also a realist, and know that if I drastically alter my diet that it will not last and the experts agree and say that this is bad to do anyways. I'm really trying right now to get enough liquids into my diet and eating more meals spread out longer over the course of the day.

Well, its dinner time at the Sievers household and I really should get going and tonight it's leftovers: ribs, cornbread, cheese dip, and probably a frosty beverage...I know, I know. Lastly, if you do have some tips or ideas about good snacks to eat during the course of the day I would love to hear about them. Cheers.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Chad!

    It's your old "neighbor" from Woodbury Amy! Im so happy your are running a marathon! When is the big day! I love them and will be training for the new Stillwater one here in MN in May. First I will ski some races this winter. Come Feb/Mar training will begin! Good luck to you! I will enjoy following your blog and throw tips in here and there! HAVE FUN! Im glad your wife is running with you...a partner is almost always so helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, so good to hear from you. I know I'll be seeking your advice in the coming months. I'm glad you enjoy the little blog. Please say hello to your family, especially Brian.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chad, your blog is excellant! I enjoy your story telling-your saga will make a great training guide... of what real(active peoples) lifes are about keep up the journey.

    ReplyDelete