Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Rise and Shine

I'm not typically a morning person (excluding Christmas and leaving on vacations), but yesterday gave me a reason to envy those who are.

As I was coaxing my body to get up out of bed, I began the task of problem solving. How in the world I was going to fit my run into a very crammed schedule? My dinner plans complicated the matter further. You see, I had a meeting at one of Knoxville's great institutions, Chandler's Deli. If you are ever in Knoxville you really should try this place out. After eating a pice of fried chicken that was 2 pounds, plus a side of homemade mac & cheese, plus a side of fried okra, plus a fresh cornbread muffin, I didn't want to find out what would happen even if I could run after such a meal. So, the morning was my only other option.

I went for a run around campus at about 8 o'clock. I decided to take my predetermined 3-mile route that passes many campus landmarks including Neyland Stadium and The Rock. It was such a nice morning. The temperature was just cold enough to see your own breath and this was refreshing in a lot of ways. I felt as if I could play the staring role in a Ricola commercial. It was difficult to get started. The cold air prevented my muscles from warming up how their accustomed to doing. Thus, my pace was off and it took me a second to lock down my breathing. But once all that fell into place, brilliant. If there is a zone, I was in it that morning.

Despite all the overwhelming evidence to pursue running in the morning, it has not and probably never will convert me. However, when the opportunity rises, I should think hard about my decision. And after I'm done thinking, I'll close my eyes, go back to sleep and envy those morning folks.

1 comment:

  1. Well I have to admit little brother, I really like your blog. I had no idea you could write pretty damn well. You have captured my attension and I will continue to follow your blog, who know's could I eventually start one as well? Keep up the great work. I agree that getting up early in the morning (if you consider 8AM early) is tough, but is so worth it knowing you've ran 3 miles before most people have had breakfast.

    Your Bro
    Corey

    ReplyDelete