Thursday, October 22, 2009

The Big Decision

So why am I doing this, running a marathon? A better question is how did I get to the point of asking such a question. Well, last year I climbed Mt. Whitney (14,497 ft) that experience was one of the most difficult things I have ever done physically. I loved the process that was involved in training for Whitney. I started to eat healthier, exercise more often, and felt better mentally.

After the adventure was over, I was glad not to go to the gym. I was even happier not hiking in my plastic boots anymore. But after some time, I was ready for another adventure. As some of you know, I spent two months in Calgary and while living there I decided when I returned I would begin training for Knoxville's Marathon. I remember sharing this news with my wife, Rachel, and I think her response was "Ah, ok , that's great". She's always been supportive at what I'm doing. In fact, she was a major reason I was even able to climb Mt. Whitney.

My plane touched down in Knoxville and shortly there after we began to run together. Yes we. Rachel's caught the bug as well and is training for a half marathon. We've been running since mid July of this year and we are both going strong.

I feel like the past couple of months has groomed me for what is about to come. My training schedule will start on November 16th, that's about 19 weeks before the actual marathon. There have been days where the last thing I want to do is run. I know there will be more days like that to come. But, more often than not a day when I run is wonderful. It'll be interesting to see how this blog thing holds up in the coming weeks. I hope it does. And I hope you all enjoy reading it.


1 comment:

  1. Good for you Chad, I'll be keeping up with this. Then its on to Leadville!!

    Mark Buchanan

    ReplyDelete